Kinesis 4 Season Disk Mudguards

The plan of refitting the mudguards I took off last year were great plans. The best of plans. Until I realised that this is a replacement Kinesis 4 Season Disc frame (older model – not the new bolt through one), and the tyres are now 28C as opposed to 25C. With SKS Chromoplastic (I am yet to find a better designed, manufactured, and robust mudguard in 20 years!) getting cut to length to avoid repeatedly getting slashed open, and for steering to work… no.. that is not going to happen.

Anyway – despite being a lengthy process – fitting a new set to a new(er) frameset was actually a kinda good learning experience.

So – first up – the rear – the easier of the two to fit. The rear suggests the use of that clip with the washer on either side. No, there will be no scratchy pushing over here!

Despite being a disc build – there are chainstay and brake bridges. The chainstay bridge is threaded – which I discovered as I tried to push through the bolt to washer and nut. This is genius – as trying to get purchase on the bolt on the other side is a pain – especially if it has worked lose while you are out – and you have a Nylock nut rattling around and no proper sized spanner to secure it as you do up the bolt from the other side. Winning.

Essentially a bottle cage threaded insert. Thank you Kinesis.

 

The bolt head is huge – but there is enough clearance here even with the 28C tyres. The story is not the same around the brake bridge or along the path of the guard to the rear – however, it fits closely, and with minimal flex (despite the further from axle attachment points as you would expect with disc).

Because I cannot leave things alone, or follow well-intended instructions – I used some plastic card to fashion an extension downward to reduce forward fling onto the exposed cable routing under the bottom bracket (held in place by the bracket), and at the rear a flap to extend the guard – as discussed previously – again with plastic card. Why piss off the people behind you – winter is hard enough as it is: Don’t be ‘that’ person.

Looking at the front guards that I was intending to refit it was apparent that the higher than intended mount point that discs require (or ugly external mounting), had meant that the metal mounts into the ‘chromeplastic’ had twisted from their original mount to align with the mounting staves. The rivets had not loosened but had deformed the guard to point to the right place. Suboptimal.

As such, I had a go at ensuring that the staves met the guard at give-or-take the right angle to reduce this stress. Fetch a Sharpie and a vice.

A bend was placed in each stave. The fitting became a little easier, and hopefully, this will reduce the stresses on the attachments as shown below.

So yes – this works – and is worth the time sorting before you try and pull it all together.

Lack of cutting disks meant there was cursing, considerably less fun sparks, and a hacksaw involved, and the “HOW THE HELL ARE THESE MEANT TO FIT AT ALL?!” of the black plastic anti-stab end caps, and job done.

I really – REALLY – like the look of this bike. I love the way it rides. The way it feels. The only issue is the weight…. but then I catch a glimpse of me in the mirror and remember that really doesn’t factor. While mudguards on a day with the sun out on dry roads seems like a real shame – the reality is that anything other than full and extended coverage in anything other than those rare dry days is going to result in sodden feet, and a sopping backside and back…. and a lot of people frowning at you. It seems like a fair price to pay.

Besides – as I remember the shop engineer, now the owner of Herberts Cycles (my spiritual LBS and mecca of my teenage years) – there is something very beautiful about a road bike with well-fitted mudguards. There is. That there is. *sigh*

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this:
Skip to toolbar